"For us, our house is not insentient matter—it has a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals, and solicitudes, and deep sympathies; it is of us, and we are in its confidence, and live in its grace and in the peace of its benediction. We never come home from an absence that its face does not light up and speak out its eloquent welcome—and we can not enter it unmoved."
—Mark Twain, 1896
______________________________

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Journal entry

A couple of days ago, Rod prepared his yard for winter (you remember Rod: the Hippie next door)? Today, whilst I was gardening in the back 40, Rod pokes his head over the fence: “Would you like some bulbs?” he asks. Would I like some bulbs? The few that he planted propagated so profusely that he had to thin them out. He was transplanting them to his backyard.
Then later, while the bread baked, I spent about an hour, maybe longer - shucking crab shells in preparation for the Crab Cakes we were having for dinner.
Out in the yard again and George flags me down from across the street. He mentions that his tomato plants are full of fruit, and did I know how to make Fried Green Tomatoes, so then of course, a discussion ensues. Unfortunately, his tomatoes are still too small to harvest, so I’ll be checking back with good ole George........in a few days.


 
In and out of the garden,
dirt under my fingernails,
bread baking,
Crab Cakes at the ready,
cavorting with the neighbors.
Yes indeed, 
 a wonderful day in the neighborhood.

 
Painting credit:
LYRICAL REALISM
Red Iris by Sesillie
~

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


Terracina/San Felice

THANK YOU FOR VISITING

THANK YOU FOR VISITING