"For us, our house is not insentient matter—it has a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals, and solicitudes, and deep sympathies; it is of us, and we are in its confidence, and live in its grace and in the peace of its benediction. We never come home from an absence that its face does not light up and speak out its eloquent welcome—and we can not enter it unmoved."
—Mark Twain, 1896
______________________________

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Window

The windows in this old house weep at the contradiction of *rime and indifference.

And yet,

as I stare through the glass,
I daydream of places and times I’ll never see again,
of people who came along to touch me then were gone in a blink.

The windows in this old house weep at the contradiction of rime and indifference.

And yet,

as I stare through the glass,
I feel the passion of love that tipped it's hat, once upon a time,
And I wonder …….

where do you go when out that window you gaze?


*
Rime [hrim]: an old English word meaning a frost coating or a thin layer of frost formed on cold objects exposed to fog causing glass to literally 'sweat' at the juxtaposition of cold on the outside and warmth on the inside.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


Terracina/San Felice

THANK YOU FOR VISITING

THANK YOU FOR VISITING