"For us, our house is not insentient matter—it has a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals, and solicitudes, and deep sympathies; it is of us, and we are in its confidence, and live in its grace and in the peace of its benediction. We never come home from an absence that its face does not light up and speak out its eloquent welcome—and we can not enter it unmoved."
—Mark Twain, 1896
______________________________

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The secret, silent life of a room

Within some of the Young Adult books I’ve been reading, Septimus Heap, then again in Fablehaven, I’ve come across the term: Camera Obscura. Since I’d not heard this term used recently, then twice in a matter of a few weeks, I thought it would be interesting to those of you who‘ve never heard of this idiom to delve, albeit into the shallow end, within its conjuring.

Camera Obscura is a phenomenon known as a 'pinhole camera'. The literal translation is 'chamber darkness' or 'dark room'. You can create one for yourself by blacking out the windows in a room, and then by cutting out one small pinhole in whatever material you used to cover the window. The image from outside will then project through the pinhole via the rectilinear propagation of light, and create an upside down likeness of the outside space on the opposite side of the wall, but with color and perspective preserved.

I know!
She said in Monica-esc.

The voyeuristic effect is eerie.
Below is a sampling from photographer Abelardo Morell’s gallery of hauntingly beautiful pictures excerpted from his book:
Camera Obscura.
Prepare to be amazed.




No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


Terracina/San Felice

THANK YOU FOR VISITING

THANK YOU FOR VISITING