"For us, our house is not insentient matter—it has a heart, and a soul, and eyes to see us with; and approvals, and solicitudes, and deep sympathies; it is of us, and we are in its confidence, and live in its grace and in the peace of its benediction. We never come home from an absence that its face does not light up and speak out its eloquent welcome—and we can not enter it unmoved."
—Mark Twain, 1896
______________________________

Sunday, March 1, 2009

two is for joy.....

I hadn’t heard from, nor seen the scoundrels in a long time. I suppose it has something to do with the wet, cold and windy season. Though I did see one yesterday, scuttling by. I smiled and waved in his direction, but he just stooped and stared without utterance of recognition. Odd, I thought to myself. They are rarely about alone, especially in winter.

This morning as I was waking, I heard them, the two who always show up first. They were making a racket outside my bedroom window, as if to say, ‘Hey, wake up, we’ve come to visit!’ I pulled the curtain away from the window and looked down. There they were, sitting on the fence, larger than I remember. With beautiful black feathers glossed over in violet, they peered up at me with their beady dark brown eyes.

As soon as they saw me they silenced their caws and stilled their bobbing heads. ‘Hello. Good morning!’ I said. They responded in-kind with a flicker and a blink, and I wondered if they heard me.

By the time I scurried downstairs, they were long gone. I question where they go when not courting me. Are they at someone else’s ‘door’ courting them, or huddled with their Parliament, making plans for yet another Murder?

I suppose the reluctant lone Sentry I saw yesterday, accomplished what he set out to do: make sure the passage home was safe, even if for a brief moment.
.
.
.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


Terracina/San Felice

THANK YOU FOR VISITING

THANK YOU FOR VISITING